Sunday, August 28, 2011

The New Cupcake Girl in Town: How the Wedding Cupcakes went Down!

A while back I posted about doing cupcakes for a vintage wedding.  Well that day was yesterday so I spent the majority of my weekend up to my ears in buttercream.  In the end the cupcakes turned out well but it was not without a few hitches along the way.  Knowing full well that in my experience any thing that can go wrong, often does I gave myself lots of time to get these babies done.  I started with the vanilla, and botched one batch of those.  My oven temperature seems to be off and although I cooked them for even less than the recommended time they were overdone on the bottom.  It was frustrating because I did them in that very same oven for the taste test a few months back and they turned out perfectly.  Don't get me wrong, they were certainly still edible (I know, I definately ate a few) but not quite wedding cupcake worthy.  No worries, I had lots of time, so I re-made them.  I then moved on the chocolate ones.  Armed with the knowledge of my too hot oven I was prepared for these ones and they turned out perfectly.

I waited until the day of the wedding to make the frosting and dress these suckas up.  The weather was hot and humid so I didn't want the buttercream to sit any longer than necessary and risk it melting.  I got up early yesterday morning to get started.  I started by making the ganache filling for the chocolate cupcakes, no problem.  Then I moved on to the strawberry buttercream for these guys.  It looked pretty.  It tasted delicious.  It was waaaaaaaaaaaaay softer than the previous time I had made it.  I frosted a few chocolate cupcakes but knew it would never hold up through the heat of the day.  Luckily I had some extra chocolate cupcakes.  I moved on to plan B.  Plan B is call my mother(if you didn't know....in life Plan B should always be call your mother, actually it should probably be Plan A, since mom always knows best).  I knew the bride was coming to pick these up shortly and I had to move quick.  My mother gave me a recipe for a more stable, less fragile frosting and I continued on.  I knew at this point getting the cupcakes done for the time that they were to be picked up would be unlikely.  Luckily for me I was working with the most laid back non-bridezilla in the history of brides.  I offered to drop them off a bit later but she was totally chill and said that someone would just pick them up in the morning.

Now that I knew I didn't have to rush I attempted the first buttercream recipe again, this time just plain vanilla for the vanilla cupcakes.  I'm not sure if it was the strawberry jam I added to the first batch or if my butter was too warm, but this batch turned out perfectly.  I was really happy because I really do love this buttercream.  I piped it on.  The cupckes were done..and only about an hour and a half behind schedule. 



Heidi, if you are reading this, this is the true story of your wedding cupcakes!  I hope you enjoyed them and your beautiful day:)



1 comment:

Japan-a-lana said...

Ha! Plan B is call your mother. I have to remember that!