Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Skinnamarinky Shrinky Dink

I have reverted to my childhood with my newest crafty obsession.  Shrinky Dinks...very 80's don't you think?  For those of you who didn't have these when you were a kid Shrinky Dinks are basically sheets of thin plastic that shrink to around 75% their original size and 3 times their thickness.  I've been playing around with them and I know I am going to come up with something fabulous but I don't think I've nailed it quite yet.  Here's what I've done so far:


A design for a chevron pendent that I am going to spray paint gold and attach to a chain.

 
 
Mid-shrink.  I started out using a heat gun but I found the force of the hot blowing air too much for little pieces.  It was blowing them all around and I had a hard time keeping them still.  No pics of the finished product yet...it still needs another coat of paint.
 
 To become earrings. Pre-shrinking.
 

Pay no attention to my nasty oven.

 
Turned into a charm bracelet...I like all the charms but it feels a little juvenile to me and I think I need a higher quality chain or maybe some smaller crystal beads in between the charms.
 
 
I am thinking next up I am going to try to make some kitschy magnets based on some of my favorite pop culture icons/characters.  I am also going to see how coloured pencils turn out rather than the Sharpies I used for these designs...I am thinking a softer more shaded effect might be nice.
 


No comments: