Monday, October 17, 2011

Cookin' with Martha~ Apple Cinnamon Bundt Cake

I have eight million apples at my house.  Sooo...some apple baking was definitely in order.  I have about 10 lbs of apples that I picked yesterday, plus about a dozen MacIntosh apples that I bought about two weeks ago that have definitely seen better days (so clearly that equals eight million).  Since I am on a Martha kick I went online and found this recipe, Apple Cinnamon Bundt Cake.



Here's how Martha says to do it:
Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups packed light-brown sugar
4 large eggs
6 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons water

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
2.In a large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, and eggs. Whisk until smooth. Gradually whisk in dry ingredients just until combined (do not over mix). Using a rubber spatula, fold in apples. Spoon batter into a 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan, and smooth top. Bake until a tester inserted in cake comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan on rack 15 minutes; invert onto rack to cool completely.
3.Make the Glaze: Whisk together confectioners' sugar and enough water to form a thick yet pourable glaze. Set rack with cake over a piece of wax paper (for easy cleanup); drizzle cake with glaze, and let set before serving.









Here's how I did it:
I pretty much followed the directions except for the following:
-The recipe called for Granny Smith apples, I used MacIntosh.  I think the Granny Smith might be a little better since they are a little less mushy and more tart.
-I also made a little extra glaze, I like it sweet:)
 
 
All in all this was a great cake.  I especially liked that it had some crunchy cinnamon bits near the edges.  I think it would be divine served warm with ice cream or whipped cream!

No comments: