Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Piece of Cake...Kinda

Over the past two months I have taken two Wilton cake decorating classes (Decorating Basics and Flowers and Cake Design).  Humidity, icing complications and the constant ramming of Wilton products down your throat made it hard for me to say that I totally enjoyed the classes but I did learn quite a bit.  As somone with a little bit of baking experience (mostly winging it and google/you-tubing techniques) I found the first few classes a little dull but did pick up a few neat tips and tricks.  Course 1 also had a lot of baking which is not exactly what one wants to do in the heat we had this August.  Course 2 is where I really picked up a lot of new techniques and learned how to make several types flowers.  Once I got rid of my crappy meringue powder and had some icing success I really enjoyed this course.  My absolute favorite flower I learned to make was the daffodil.  Ever since I was a little girl they have been a favorite of mine.  I went a little daffodill crazy with my final cake!  I am looking forward to courses 3 and 4.

Dimensional decorating using buttercream.
 
A little 80's style swag.
 
Ribbon roses made from buttercream.
 
Leafs and fleurs.
 

Royal icing flowers.

My daffodilly flower cake.
 
Basketweave.
 
 
Next up I will learn a bit more about working with fondant and gum paste which is a little more current then some of these buttercream techniques but honestly not near as yummy.  Looking forward to making some more fun cakes!

No comments: