Wednesday, January 25, 2012

One Chicken, Three Ways, Nine Meals!

I am not usually a cheapskate in the grocery department.  Generally if I want it I buy it no matter what the cost.  I get too much pleasure from food to skimp and not get what I really want.  That being said I am really impressed with my ability to make one little chicken go so far.  Since I am on a bragging about how great I am kick (see yesterday's post) I thought I'd share this too!  I was able to make nine meals (for one) out of one of those pre-cooked, $9.99, rotisserie chickens you get at the grocery store.


Meal 1:  Pretty straight forward...Chicken and taters with salad.  Just those grocery store taters and some salad I had at home already.

Meals 2&3:  Chicken salad sandwhiches.  Chop up some chicken, add a little mayo, salt&pepper, a little cheese if you are so inclined (could also add celery or onion etc.) and slap it on some whole grain bread...easy peasy.

Meals 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9: Chicken noodle soup.  Throw what's left of the chicken in a pot.  Add some water, chicken bouillion, bay leaves, other random spices, and an onion.  Boil it up, let it simmer for a bit and strain off the broth.  Pick the rest of the meat off the chicken...generally not a fan of non-white meat but for some reason it doesn't bother me in a soup.  Throw it back in the broth.  Add some carrots, onions, egg noodles...whatever...let it all cook.  Your done.

I know none of this is rocket science.  Just pretty proud of myself for stretchin' a buck and not wasting anything from that damn chicken. 

No comments: