Thursday, November 10, 2011

Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff~ A Recipe Gone Wrong

I found this recipe from The Crockstar via Pinterest.  It claims to be the best ever so I decided to make it for my dinner tonight.  I changed a few things...mostly because I couldn't find the Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup.  Here's what I did:

Gathered up the following ingredients-
2 pounds cubed stew meat
2 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
1 1/2 medium onion diced
4 tablespoons of Worcestershire (you can use less, adjust to your personal taste)
1/2 cup water
8 oz of cream cheese (I used the ultra low fat kind)
couple of dashes of Garlic Salt (1 tsp?)
couple dashes of Smoked Paprika
2 squirs of Sriracha asian hot sauce (to add a little kick)

In the slow cooker stir in all the ingredients, except the meat and the cream cheese, together. Once combined add the meat and mix together.

Cook on Low for 8 hours. Cut up the cream cheese into cubes just before serving and turn crockpot on high. Stir the cream cheese in until all combined. You might have to put the lid back on and leave for 10 minutes.

This can be served over egg noodles or mashed potatoes (I actually used macaroni noodles since that's what I had).

If you plan on freezing this do not add the cream cheese.  Just re-heat on the stove and add cream cheese 10 minutes before serving. The meat becomes even more tender when reheated.

Now here is the bad part.  What I did, did not work.  This recipe tasted like shit.  Well shit might be a bit harsh, but it was ultra bland tastless, runny, blechy-ness.  It probably had something to do with the fact that I tried to healthify it.  I should have just used the full fat, full salt stuff...then I am sure it would have been tasty.  I wish I wasn't on this damn health kick.  Maybe once I am over it (which is inevitable) then I will try it again the way The Crockstar intended it...provided I can find the Golden Mushroom Soup.

P.S. I had a picture of my soupy stroganoff...but I am too disappointed and lazy to even bother to get it off my computer.  Sorry.

P.P.S.  Some things are intended to be creamy, fatty and delicious.

No comments: