1. Sketch out what you want your ornament to look like, keeping in mind that you will be cutting each piece out felt. Unless you are skilled at cutting or have great little scissors you will want to keep each piece a reasonable size.
Jolly Santa sketch
2. Outline your sketch with a black pen or marker.
3. Trace each individual piece on a new piece of paper (I just used loose-leaf, I have about 10,000 pieces of paper but somehow no plain white computer paper).
It's not perfect, but it'll work.
4. Cut out each piece and pin to the appropriate colour of felt. Once pinned cut out around each piece.
5. Put all the pieces together and stitch together. I have no pics of this. You have to be strategic about this, but I basically just wing it. I also stitched on some eyes.
Voila! Jolly Santa!
So that's it! That's the highly technical method I use to make my simple little patterns.