Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bittersweet Day

Friday was a very bittersweet day for me.  I finished up my Music teaching job and am starting at my new job on Monday.  I had to make the difficult choice between staying at a school that I love and going to a school that could potentially be a lot more challenging.  I really had to weigh the pros and cons of this one.

Current School (Primary to Grade Six Music):
-GREAT kids
-GREAT staff
-lighter work load
-not my area of specialty
-unknown end date

New School (Grade Two/Three combined and grade Five):
-GREAT kids(although more challenging in terms of behavioural stuff)
-GREAT staff
-heavy work load
-in a regualar class room
-guaranteed work until the end of the year

In many ways my heart said to stay but after many years of being a people pleaser I made the decision that best suited me (or at least my bank account).   I am moving on to the new school.  I feel guilty about leaving the kids.  They've already lost one music teacher before me and will have at least one more coming before (if?) their original teacher returns.  However, I am excited to be back in the classroom teaching the regular elementary subjects that I am actually trained for.  This makes me very happy.

The kindness and support of the students and staff was very overwhelming today.  I recieved bazillions of cards, flowers, cake, poems and many, many hugs.  They all understood that sometimes you have to make the decision best suited for your career and your financial well being.  I hope someday I will have the opportunity to work with some of these amazing individuals in the future again. 

Here are some pictures of just a few of my favorite cards/poems from the children:
It was true.  I was teaching all of the students at two schools.  After four months I just started getting all the names down pat.

I think this kid was the most distraught of all.  I love that I am portrayed as a mama duck leading her babies as well(assuming that is me anyway).

These girls are just the kindest girls you'd ever want to meet.


A gift of friendship


"Hold on to the songs we sang together, even if it hurts" :(

Who doesn't want to be portrayed riding a sea monster?

Sooooo cute!


Bring on Monday!

No comments: