Sunday, July 25, 2010

Channel Port-Aux Basques Newfoundland

It wouldn't be a trip to Newfoundland without spending hours waiting for the ferry. On last year's trip it was the on the way home...this year on the way there. Our boat was scheduled to leave at 7:00pm and is now rumoured to be leaving somewhere around 2:00-3:00am :( That's about eight hours behind schedule if my calculations are correct. The good news is once the boat ride is over we haven't got far to go. We dock in Channel-Port aux Basques and it is just about a five minute drive to my Nan's. Port aux Basques is a small town of about 5000 people. To many it is a spot to pass through as they land on "the rock", but it is the place where my parents grew up and holds fond memories for me.
I am super excited to see my family but especially my grandmother. If craftiness is genetic it was definately passed to me from her! For as long as I can remember my Nan has been sewing, knitting, crocheting, ornament making, jewelry making and crafting in general. Even now in her late 80's she is still at at. Her hands are arthritic and she finds knitting more difficult but she has taken to jewelry making these days. She even has her own craft shack where she peddles her wares in Scott's Cove Park which has an amphitheater with lively music and is surrounded by brightly painted craft and snack kiosks modeled to look like outport fishing stages.
I am sure despite the delay in the start of my trip Newfoundland 2010 will be as fun and memorable as ever!

No comments: